STARING AT TOMORROW TODAY

 


   Hello world!! (Echoes). I'm back from my unannounced hiatus. I just needed to go off for a while, from exams to projects and life generally. Oh well!! I'm back– for the meantime. Whilst I was away, I didn't forget all about this place and y'all –as usual. I realized however, how impersonal my articles/posts on here have been and for a change, I'm going to attempt giving you a peek into a portion of my life aside my thoughts and musings I post here regularly. Here it goes:
   Pardon me if this post ends up being not as personal as you might have thought, I'm not used to that style of writing. This post is essentially me giving you insight to what has kept me away for like two, three months now..... AKA School.
   So, late last year, I got in to study what I for a somewhat major part of my life have been yearning to. Hold up, this post was initially meant to give an insight to my experience this past semester in the school of Architecture. But, on a second thought, I'm just gonna highlight the lessons that I've picked up these past months– my experience would probably put you to sleep as it's give or take 5months long.
***DRUM ROLL***

LESSON 1
  Practice really does make perfect, never write yourself off as not being good enough.


BACK STORY: At the start of the session, I got to know that I had a fine art related class. For starters, I see myself as better with constructions than sketches and then, the conditions under which we sketched were ehm... "awesome". So, we drew nature, form and structure in the open air whilst supporting boards and sketchpads in awkward standing, leaning or sitting positions. Well, initially, we used pencils for the sketches and they came on rather slow. As time passed, they came out better and with more speed. Then, we transitioned to pens. If I was told I would be able to make meaningful looking sketches with pens from the start, I'm certain I would have doubted it.

LESSON 2
   No knowledge is ever wasted.

BACK STORY: So, it came to a point in the semester when we had to make models of certain ideas. You know when one is made to do certain things and you can't but wonder what exactly the use is, that is how I felt about soap carving from my secondary school days till it came in handy for this project.

LESSON 3
   Time is an illusion.

BACK STORY: Before getting into school, time often took form of a snail doing a 400m race (you get the picture?). Fast track, it's weeks into resumption and the time that once was viewed as excess suddenly become insufficient. From classes to assignments and all that, I was silently wishing the day could accommodate more hours.

LESSON 4
   It's better to work smart than hard

BACK STORY: Back to the modelling experience, I realized it was better to start/ jump on the work on ground soonest than to wait for a week or so into the project or a majority to be ready. To me, it made sense to work ahead of schedule than wait for the deadline to loom over my head. It made it easier to be stressed less often.

LESSON 5
   Respect people's opinions, share ideas, make corrections but don't force them.

BACK STORY: When you share a common room with 50 or so other people with varying characters, backgrounds and mindsets, it's bound for there to be multiple ideas and hence, exchange of ideas and opinions. I learnt and am still learning to share ideas, lend my opinions when necessary also, to never force my opinions down people's throats. Just drop 'em and move.

LESSON 6
   A step backward some times is a step in the best direction possible.

BACK STORY: I'd reference the modelling thing again. Prior to make the modelling, weeks of sketches, construction, "idea-bre
wing" and all of that had gone down. During those weeks, ideas were turned down, remodified and in the end, accepted. In hindsight, it was a rather lengthy back-and-forth process that turned out to be profitable and in the best interest of the designs.
  Yeah, so, there you have it. The lessons learnt and my shot at being less impersonal with my posts.

Till another post,
'Mina.

Photo credit: Shizy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW : VIOLENCE BY FESTUS IYAYI

GROWING UP BIG FOOT