ADULTING: Through my eyes


   Forever young, 
   I want to be forever young..... Thus goes the line of a certain song, but unfortunately or otherwise, we can't really the young forever. As far as I know, humans, living things generally are susceptible to change and that includes uhm aging (it's only God that's ageless). I remember how people used to make so much fuss when their 18th years came knocking and I wondered what the hell the fuss was about. I just saw that age–18– as any other regular age when I was younger and even now that I'm there, I'm afraid I still feel same. First off, I'm not one that thinks some birthdays are more important than others, I see every year lived as a reason to be thankful. I don't think one has to wait till certain ages before making or recording some notable achievements.
   So, I discovered the whole fuss with 18 was basically the "legalness" of the age, one would be free to do certain things that age had long restricted. To me though, that doesn't carry much weight. The side of 18 I see is the side of responsibilities. When one clocks that "magic number", parents and society generally almost automatically expect more from you. You are expected to be more responsible and not to forget that you can be held for your action (wise or foolish). Another reason that age never really got me enthused is, I don't see maturity as a function of age. Yes, the older one gets, the more mature one is supposed to act but of a truth not everyone acts with respect to their ages. Some attain levels of maturity beyond their ages and other below.
   Frankly, I've never really given ageing/adulting much of a though but that's not to say I've never given the future a thought–on the contrary, I do that quite often. One thing I know for sure and as I mentioned earlier is, with age comes responsibilities and some of the responsibilities of no longer being a minor, I've began to see play out in my life.

Spending wisely: when we are younger, we don't care how money comes but when we have it, most spend it as quickly as it is gotten. I've learnt to save for rainy days, not all monies are to be spent and to spend wisely (I.e on things that matter).


Passwords too many to remember: I recall finding it weird when my mom would pen down usernames and all for accounts opened online. I would wonder, why not memorize them? But, I discover now that one can't remember every detail. I'm not even half her age yet and I am getting to the stage of having too many passwords to remember.


Making and losing friends: this isn't to say that younger people–18 and less–don't go through this but I reckon it happens more in adulthood.
Picture this; as an “adult”, one is likely to have been to far more places, worked with and seen lotta people from different walks of life enough to tag some as friends. Sadly, not all friendships can last forever, time, distance, lack of communication or being tired of the friendship on a whole can lead to losing friends one once considered valuable.


Making choices/decisions and justifying them: as kids, we rarely have many serious choices to make, as we grow older however, we have far more important choices to make. What profession, what school, kinds of people to relate with and many more. At times, people would question one's reason for making certain choices and at moments like this, justifying the reason(s)  behind the choice/decision would make them see reasons with you. I have learnt and I'm still learning to have good reason behind the decisions I make and make people understand the reasons behind those decisions.

Just bants,
'Mina.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW : VIOLENCE BY FESTUS IYAYI

GROWING UP BIG FOOT