REVIEW: NO. 6 COLLABORATIONS PROJECT.



   At this point in my life, I’m rather used to being the last to the party and it might be very valid in this case. You might ponder what party I’m talking about now… well, I’m referring to the ‘listening party’ of Ed Sheeran’s NO 6 COLLABORATION ALBUM. Released officially for the ears of the whole world (stans, fans and haters) on the 12th of July 2019, No 6 collaboration projects is the fourth studio album of Ed succeeding “+,× and ÷” and some would have thought the next album to be something along the lines of “- or √” but welp, we’ve got a very collaborative fourth album from Ed. Might I add another *very* to that collaborative? Needless to say, people have been vibing seriously to various tracks on this album.

SEE ALSO: Byebye old school

   Prior to the release of NO. 6, I’m certain most would’ve heard a couple of songs off the album including I don’t care (with Justin Beiber) and Cross me (with Chance tha rapper and pnb rock) being the firsts I heard myself. As expected, every track on this album has got Ed teaming up with one artiste at the very least.

Thoughts,

  As I’d always say, yours truly is no music critic nor aspiring producer or som’n, I may not have put the album on endless repeat but still, I have a couple of thoughts about this album as far as my couple of listens have told me.
  At this point, I deem it fair to let y’all in on the fact that I’m a fan of Ed. Now that we have that settled, no 6 collab has a different feel to it. First off, all the features. All three prior albums were almost devoid of this because obviously they werent collaborations.
  After a couple of listens, it was obvious that the sounds of the album were quite different from the sounds we usually attach to Ed. This album could straight up be mistaken for a dj mix (definitely excluding the turntable scratches) if played on shuffle at a stretch. That is how much variation I heard in the sounds of each track.
  The previous two albums (the ones I actually listened to) seemed to follow a pattern:

  •  at least 2 upbeat tracks (shirtsleeves, Nina, sing--from ×-- Barcelona, Galway girl, Nancy mulligan, what do I know--from ÷-- and a host of other songs) 
  • at least one track with Ed rapping (cue, take it back, eraser, the man?) 
  • And the typical Ed Sheeran slow tempo and breezy vibes (tenerife, small bump, I’m a mess, supermarket flowers, I could go on).

  Personally, it felt good to hear Ed explore other sounds asides ballads and the occasional pop and rap. This album saw to the sampling of varying sounds from:

Pop, Rap, Grime (take me back to London), Rock (blow), Reggaeton (a part of feels), Old school rnb vibes (put it all on me, I don’t want your money).

 Generally, it feels like a feel good album and it sure isn’t void of content as always.  Overall, it is a good listen but who knows, I might just be a biased fan.

A fan,
‘Mina.

Do you listen to Ed? Have you listened to the latest album? What are your thoughts, would love to hear them in the comments.
 Images from: edsheeran.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW : VIOLENCE BY FESTUS IYAYI

GROWING UP BIG FOOT