Lunacy of Lagos: long overdue projects


 As with the previous parts of this series, I doubt I can extensively talk about this in one post so, expect a follow up some time later. I talked earlier about what informs my perspective on this series as a whole and how you may find it a bit tainted, once again bear with me, the dust on the road has coated my glasses. Still on the perspective thing, I’d be starting with the roads that I ply often and are somehow meant to be important to Lagos as a city….….
 Drum roll!!!!



The Lagos-Badagry road:

This road is touted to be of economic importance (well, before the borders were shut) but I just can’t fathom how with the said importance, repairs are going at snail pace on the road. I recall some 12/13 years back--the road may not have been exceptionally good but it wasn’t this bad either--we would spend not more than an hour-thirty minutes (that’s even maximum) from our side of the mainland to the town itself (not by public transport). Four-five years later, the road was commissioned for repair and we all thought within a couple of years as stipulated, we’d be “flying” from the mainland to Badagry town within 30 minutes. The fact that the road was meant to have 5 lanes each on the express for traffic in both directions definitely fueled our hopes of someday in the thought to be near future covering the distance in less time than we did before. Buildings along the road were demolished in areas that the expressway cut across. The affected buildings varied from residences in certain areas to factories and businesses in others. The owners were probably compensated provided they had the appropriate documents. You may feel like I’m boring you out with all of this ‘history’, stick with me, I’m heading somewhere.
I’m darn sure we weren’t the only commuters that were thrilled with the repair and expansion of this road as it definitely would make it easier for people to extend their arms of business to other parts of Lagos and one won’t have to waste precious hours in transit if one was to get a job in the core parts of Lagos, you dig? Then, a rail line was also proposed to be constructed alongside the road expansion. It’s needless to say what proper and efficient rail system would do for the traffic, commuters and even the economy (people could move their good with ease and reach a wider market and all of that economic stuff). So, work started, wrecking balls and bulldozers came out to play, rubble came along and with time some were cleared. Work started after the demolition and we thought to ourselves: “soon and very soon, the road would be done, after all the world bank is said to be sponsoring it”. Sadly, now our “soon and very soon” is beginning to turn to “one day, one day” which in Nigerian context means; “eventually, even if it takes lots of years” in our minds and mouths.
With all that said, I deem it fit to mention that this is in no way a political post (I’m just here to say it as it is). This is “THE LUNACY OF LAGOS SERIES ” and I’m talking roads today, I see no better way to start than with one that I have had a fair share of experience with. Through my eyes, there are 3 types of roads in lagos (regardless of traffic):



  • The F1 kinda road
  • The obstacle course and 
  • The Dirt race kinda road and the bumpy terrain as a bonus. Now, some roads/ routes can be one of these or a combination of two or more of this. I think it depends on how long the road stretches for. 

 When we first moved from the core of Lagos to this end like I mentioned in the introductory post for this series, I could say the road was still somewhat fair and yes, work had already commenced on it. I recall jesting my mom one time about the potholes on the road improving her driving skills, and it was no lie. The first ride we took when we were moving found us literally bumping into every single portholes, either she didn’t anticipate the holes or she didn’t think them to be that deep. Two months down the line and she literally was James Bond-ing all ‘em potholes, she even knew where some of the holes laid before reaching them. As expected, this resulted in me “swinging and swaying” in the vehicle from time to time, thank God for seat belts. And, might I add; compared to what that road is right now, the one she was James Bond-ing was better to a degree.
Going by my stratification up there, I would say the Lagos-Badagry road (the whole stretch) is a sore mix of the three probably with the bonus. So, after the whole James Bond rides with mom, I went to school and I sure had to find my way to and from home by myself. Even when driving with mom, you’d know the road is bad least to talk of taking bus rides with the drivers either slightly tipsy (you never can tell) or just straight up non-chalant about the bus since it’s not theirs. Remember my previous post on transport? This is what led me to actually knowing the weird mazda buses. I would get to my bus stories soon enough. So, 4 years down the line and we still pass by that road and wonder if the work is still going on or not. Sure, progress has been made on some section of the road, say from Orile to Alakija roughly (maybe not the whole stretch but some part), that’s the F1 stratum. Coming down, it’s an odd mix of the dirt road and bumpy terrain. There’s just a whole lot of dust on that axis except we are “blessed” with rain which comes with its own lot for the road too. This strata combo I’d say stretches from the Alakija axis thereabout to Ojo barracks--give or take. There’s dust and some pothole induced jiggling/dancing done in vehicles.

...dust scape of my Lagos 

Then the the worst combination; all strata excluding the F1 of course. Stretching from Ojo down to Badagry. You get more dust and jiggling, ditches that could choke you if you were to be drinking water and don’t even think of reading in a vehicle cos your eyes sure would pay for it. At some points on this stretch, it’s near impossible to completely avoid all portholes in sight cos, as you are avoiding one, you end up in another at times. So, it boils down to choosing between two evils. Part of this stretch has the road stripped off of the tar and filled with rubble by residents. And sometimes, a portion of the stretch is so bad that you either pass one way (the lane meant for incoming traffic) or your shock absorbers would wear out or worse still, you get stuck somewhere. Sure enough, certain portions would require less James Bond skills that other parts but it still is a bumpy ride.
Due to all that I have divulged above, it takes me about 3 hours minimum to get home (a little less than 3 on extremely lucky days). And, an alternate route leaving home though with better roads still doesn’t see me spending less hours on the road to school due to the roundabout nature of the journey. I probably hope the road gets done before I leave school so I can come up here and fill you guys in with updates, but then I’m not so sure of that.

Sidenote: this post was originally drafted in 2018 and late 2019 construction visibly picked up pace. I hope the pace is sustained if not increased and ultimately, it is well maintained as it is finished.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW : VIOLENCE BY FESTUS IYAYI

GROWING UP BIG FOOT