DEPRESSION: THE LITTLE THINGS

   Hey guys, I’ve been keeping a date with the radio on late Sunday mornings of recent. If you are in Lagos and a radio listener like me, you would have an idea what goes on about that time. It’s series of gospel shows on most stations, interrupted by adverts and music breaks. Well, most times, I shuttle between frequencies 99.3fm and 96.9fm. I like the messages aired on 99.3fm. This post isn’t really about my Sunday morning schedule, around 12 though, the countdown (Rick Dees, weekly top 40) goes up. So, there’s this song that has been on the chart for quite a while (heard it made Platinum), 1-800 by Logic (it features Alessia Cara and Khalid). This song set off a series of thoughts in my head and I’d be sharing them with y’all as always.
   Some people may find this song weird or  cringeworthy and for some, it ultimately gives them the creeps. For me, however, I like the song and will listen anytime, any day. I like the song cos there’s a message, a picture behind it, I’m always one for content hence, the lyrics got me from day one. For those that haven’t heard it, you may wonder what the song talks about. Well, SUICIDE is the theme in short—the song title is actually a suicide hotline in the US.
   I’m a listener—little wonder my ears aren’t small, lol—but I still had to go look up the lyrics to be certain about what I wanted to write here. Songtexte supplied the lyrics and as the song has some rap verses, it supplied some lines I barely heard. A part of the song goes;

ain't nobody callin' my phone
Where you been? Where you at? What's on your mind?
They say every life precious but nobody care about mine. 
This line hits me and gets me thinking; it’s the little things that matter at times. For some, being incommunicado won't hurt much but for most it does, especially when it’s done by a close person. This verse shows that we all have a responsibility. At times, just a phone call, act of kindness, show of concern can stop a dreaded situation from arising. Whenever you have the strong urge to get across to someone, do it promptly, you might just save a life. It's better you do than hear news that would leave you full of regret for quite a while.
   I’m no psychologist but depression can result from a cumulation of “little things” sometimes (my opinion). A little rejection/disappointment here, an iota of hate there, a pinch of saddening / hurtful events and BOOM!! Depression could sneakily find its way into one’s life. For some strong-willed peeps, they could fight away the depression but for the others, they slip into it, slowly and steadily. It’s moments like this we have to reach out, grab them by their arms, helping them up and out of it.

 I was discussing with one of my buds some while back and he said, “Everyone has suicidal tendencies”. That is something that I’d bear in mind for a long, real long time. Not everyone has felt suicidal but like he rightly said, most people do have suicidal tendencies. The state of my “beloved nation” isn’t even helping matters in that regard. That statement gets me thinking my actions through, over and over before I actually perform them. You should too, you never could tell which of your acts could save a life right on time.

   Take time when dealing with people, put yourself in their shoes, consider that they might be going through more than what you think or know. Let these frame your actions. Depression is real, it’s a means to an end, which is, SUICIDAL THOUGHTS or SUICIDE itself. All in all, remember that it’s the littlest things that could go a long way, it could be a heartwarming smile or a listening ear. The little things matter too.


Bottomline: Reach out to someone today. Lend a helping hand today. Little things could make the most impact. However, don’t try forcing it, gentleness and subtlety is key. 
Apologies: I know it’s the yuletide and I should not really be talking about “dark” things. But I just had to considering the increase in the number of suicides last year and this year when compared with other years. Have a wonderful celebration. 

What are your thoughts on this write-up? Have you ever entertained suicidal thoughts? What do you think about 1-800? Do let me know in the comments, you’ve always got my eyes. *Smiles*

Stay safe,
Mina.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW : VIOLENCE BY FESTUS IYAYI

GROWING UP BIG FOOT