Retrospection '17: Counting 'em blessings

 

The year is fast winding to a close and one thing that I readily associate with this time of the year is retrospection. With most TV stations airing shows dealing with the activities that occurred in the earlier parts of the year, it’s rather difficult not to. I never fancied those shows right from time but I just couldn’t avoid them hence it would forever be in memory. Looking back, I realize I didn’t fancy those shows due to the fact that they sometimes highlight details that I’d rather forget and wish never happened. What’s the use recalling what you can’t change. With the above in view, it’s rather funny and ironic that I’d be doing a retrospect post of my own. This is my first, so don’t expect much. (WARNING: Picture overload)

   2017 is a year I’d not forget in quite a while, it had its highs and lows, events I’d rather forget and some that would always be in mind. The year was tough in some respect but it only made me tougher. There were lemons and peppers, I made lemonades and pepper soup.  I would touch however the little victories I experienced this year. The pleasant memories and occasions as well. For one, I got a varsity placement, regardless the uncertainties at some point.



   This year has also been one of my most creative years. Last year, I wrote a number of articles, some of which made their way here, as well as poetry. This year however has seen an upward turn in my creative works, I’ve written better poems this year, I also started writing stories—though yet to be completed—that have surpassed what I imagined I could write. I participated in a 900-1000 words contest this year as well, even when I was doubting I could write up to 600. Even if I don't take any of the prices, it's a little achievement in my books. I feel like I’m almost at the point where I’d have something new to write everyday, be it a post as this, poetry or a portion of a manuscript or just my random musings.
 I read two John Grisham books this year, I’m soo counting that as a little victory, I read one from Nora Roberts too. I read about 8 books in all this year (think I read more last year).


   I’ve been more consistent here than the previous two years. I count that as a big victory. I feel like I've tried with visuals for the blog this year, hopefully would be better by next. I also feel like I’m gradually finding my voice, saying my thoughts, speaking my mind via poetry. I’ve also learnt more (more of informally) this year. I've learnt to have more patience via some weird events. I've learnt and I'm still learning to know when to take a deep breath and let God have his way.


  My mind has been trained to be happy regardless situations. To see the flicker of light in every dim situation, there's always something good in everything,no matter how bad. It is never that serious. I took a road trip this year too, it was quite a distance but interesting nonetheless. Learnt to count my blessing and wear a grateful heart. All in all, 2017 has had it's fine moments and not so fine ones but I'm thankful to be alive. I foresee 2018 would be quite hectic a year for me but I'd definitely make time for this space and y'all.





Thanks for reading and being a part of my 2017. How has the year been for you? What are your expectations and resolutions for 2018? Do tell me in the comments, I'd love to hear from you.

Mina.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW : VIOLENCE BY FESTUS IYAYI

GROWING UP BIG FOOT