TALES OF EXHAUSTION

 (I wrote this on the 27th of October and even though I no longer feel exhausted, I still find the need to share. Nigeria seems to keep one in a steady state of exhaustion, hence this piece should still be timely even though it is a month old)

Stock Photo by Elijah O'Donnell from Pexels


October was a hell of a month. Events fit for 5 years transpired in the space of 14 days. For the year 2020, that says a lot, considering that all sorts have gone down in the course of the year.

There certainly have been days that found me the least bit uncomfortable and days that have left me disconcerted. October however left me exhausted. Exhausted might seem like an overkill but this is me putting it lightly.

Exhausted from head to toe. Exhausted inside-out. Absolute exhaustion. On some days, I tend to hover around the edge of tiredness but, complete exhaustion has hardly ever been it for me. I am certain I was not the only one tangled in the web of exhaustion this past month. It was overwhelming to say the least.

One thing I rediscovered during the days of exhaustion is that it is okay to step back sometimes, especially when we constantly feel overwhelmed. It is okay to go the extra mile to protect your sanity. It could get hard sometimes, finding peace--or something that looks like it-- in the midst of chaos. But, it is necessary to find that peace, even if just in small portions.

It is okay to detach, just for the moment in a bid to re-center yourself, recalibrate your mind and do away with the exhaustion eventually. Take a break from the noise and news, do something you love and something you have looked forward to. Read a book, watch a movie, listen to your fave jam (or discover new sounds). Whatever it might take to make you the slightest bit happier and less exhausted, go for it. Most importantly, don’t forget gratitude. I helps make things make a little more sense. It helps us find the (seeming) good, no matter how little, in all the noise and chaos. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW : VIOLENCE BY FESTUS IYAYI

GROWING UP BIG FOOT